Monday, July 4, 2011

Summer CSA

And now for some non-knitting content.

For years I have been intrigued by the idea of joining a CSA, but just never got my act together. Well, I can't say that I got my act together this year, but I did get a chance to join. My son's first grade class had a field trip to the local organic farm and I tagged along. While there I inquired about the availability of the CSA, and I left a message. Someone called back and let me know they had some unofficial openings, and that I could join. So we did.

The trick now is using everything that we pick up. We don't have to take everything and items can be donated to a local food pantry. It has been a good way to get out of my cooking rut and the veggies have been yummy. So occasionally I will post what I've cooked to remember all the yumminess--though I can't guarantee pictures, since these items don't stick around very long :)

Today we made Kale Chips. The recipe was on a hand out at the farm. Normally I saute kale with minced garlic, olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar--but this was a big hit. Kale chips look a little weird. Surprisingly they do not stick to the cookie sheet. I think I oversalted mine, but they were yummy and they reminded me of toasted nori. The 7 year old loved them--while cooking the smell reminded him of spinach, which he likes a lot. Even the 1 year old ate them! They do not hold well, especially if it is humid. We were imagining using this as a crunchy component is an otherwise softish plate of food. Maybe on top of some mashed potatoes.

One important note if you make these. Put only one layer of kale leaves on each cookie sheet. Otherwise the kale stays moist and does not crisp up. If you try it I'd love to know what you think, and pass you comments on to the original poster (see link) also.

No comments: