Sunday, June 7, 2009

Dyeing disaster

I tried to dye up a sweater's worth of yarn today. My goal was to have a yarn that was semi solid in a light olive green. What I got was this:

My pot was WAY too small for the amount of yarn. By the time I jammed all the yarn in, the yarn to hit the pot first has essentially sucked up all the dye in the water. I knew enough to hold the yarn so that each skein entered at the same time, so each skein is similar, but I've got one end that is a darkish browny olive and the other end a very pale green. Live and learn.

Maybe I can salvage this and make it usable by over dyeing. In any case, I don't think I will be using this for the project I intended. C'est la vie.

1 comment:

romana said...

knit the sweater so that it gradiates from the lightest shade at the neck to the darkest at the hem. may not be the sweater you envisioned, but it will be interesting.