Sunday, December 30, 2007

Mason Dixon cooking




Here is my binder o' random recipes--and here is where it lives.
See Mason-Dixon Knitting for more details.


Below is a fav recipe--but I never need to look at the binder for it anymore. A vegetarian friend of mine made this for me once, and it just stuck (she obviously did not use chicken broth--but hey I think it tastes good). It was back in the day when cooking for myself was new and fun. I wrote down the recipe and stuck it in the pile that eventually went to live in this binder.

This is a recipe I use all the time, but particularly when I need to be on a low iodine diet (LID) before an iodine uptake scan. For other LID recipes see the Thyca cookbook.


Roasted veggies

Preheat oven to 500. Chop up various veggies that you like into equal(ish) size pieces.
mushrooms (quartered)
onions (keep them sort of together so they don't burn)
sweet potatoes squash (any you like, I like butternut)
red peppers (or other colors)
carrots
garlic (whole peeled clove)

That is my base--I might also add parsnips, rutabaga, turnips, beets depending on what's around at the store/farm.
Put the chopped veggies in a roasting pan, with a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper. (Pile up the veggies as they tend to reduce during cooking)
Roast veggies in oven for approximately 1 hour (until the harder veggies are as soft as you like) stirring every 20 minutes or so.
I serve this on a bed of couscous (made with a LID broth would be yummy, or just water). When not on LID I also sprinkle feta on top.

Stay tuned for the next post--when I discuss my monkeys!

No comments: